The Behavioural Insights Team is recruiting an Assistant Management Accountant to work in our Operations Team. The role offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience of all aspects of company finances, in a growing and dynamic organisation. Alongside a team of experienced finance and operational professionals, you will support the Management Accountant and Business Manager on tasks such as producing the quarterly forecasts, preparation of the annual budget process and preparation of monthly cashflow reports..
You will have considerable opportunities to learn and progress in your career – we offer support for accounting qualifications, as well as significant “on the job” training – and provide a supportive and stimulating work environment. You will also be encouraged to attend the lunchtime talks from a range of external speakers, and an internal training programme to learn more about the nature of BIT’s work.
About the Behavioural Insights Team
BIT is a global leader in the application of behavioural science to inform public policy and tackle societal challenges. The then Prime Minister created BIT in 2010 and in February 2014 we became a social purpose company, jointly owned by the Cabinet Office, Nesta (an innovation charity) and our employees.
BIT works with governments around the world in almost every area of policy. Whilst the subject and output of our projects varies considerably, there are common threads: we try to understand the contexts in which people make decisions; we notice small details; we find out what has and hasn’t worked before; we come up with innovative ideas for solving policy problems and we test and measure everything we do as robustly as we can.
As well as displaying professional excellence, BIT selects staff on the basis of our company values: always prioritising social impact; empiricism and humility; fresh thinking, collaboration; and public service
Roles and Responsibilities
In order to succeed you will need to be able to effectively prioritise your work to deal with arising finance queries while delivering work to a regular monthly/annual finance schedule.
BIT has a core set of values which apply not only in our day to day consulting but also within the team environment. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a desire to make things easier for their colleagues and have a social impact internally and externally through what they do.
As the Assistant Management Accountant you will play an important role in helping to interpret large amounts of financial data from a variety of sources, and assist in creating information that will enable decision making across the business. You will need to communicate effectively with staff at our six offices globally to ensure that relevant information is received correctly and on time. This will include:
- Prepare and distribute the UK and group monthly management information packs, ensuring that key performance data is well understood and communicated and a continuous improvement mind-set is maintained.
- Together with the Management Accountant, act as Business Partner to various UK clusters/departments
- Liaise with non-UK subsidiary companies and ensure that month-end submissions are made accurately and promptly
- Support the preparation of monthly cashflow forecasts and reports
- Maintain appropriate levels of financial control around treasury
Budgeting and forecasting
- Support in the preparation of the annual budget process, engaging with the Management Accountant, Finance Director, Board, Executive Team and budget holders to ensure that the process is well communicated, understood and executed according to the plan
- Support in the preparation of the quarterly reforecast process, engaging with the Management Accountant, Finance Director, Board, Executive Team and budget holders to ensure that the process is well communicated, understood and executed according to the plan
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis of projects/key organisational data using Excel and/or Google Sheets
Skills and experience
- Passion for and experience in data manipulation and analysis
- Experience in improving processes via automation and or process engineering
- Excellent analytical ability and critical thinking whilst maintaining attention to detail
- Expert level in financial analysis tools (Google-sheets and Excel) and ability to balance collaborative and controlled working techniques
- Organised and able to balance the demands of several activities with a proven track record of meeting deadlines and working under pressure
- Self-motivated, flexible and able to work on own initiative
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively as part of a team
- Possess an interest in the application of behavioural insights to operational processes
- Experience of working with budget holders to prepare budgets and analyse performance against them
- Experience in preparing international group management accounts
- Experience in treasury management and cashflow forecasting
- Part-qualified CIMA/ACCA (1st year or 2nd year) or equivalent
- Experience using financial software such as Microsoft NAV & Jet Reports
If you do not already hold the right to work in the UK and/or require sponsorship in order to continue working here, you should think carefully before applying. This is because we will be unable to sponsor you unless there is no other suitably qualified settled worker available to fill the role or your current immigration status means that the resident labour market test will not apply in your case.
We reserve the right to close this role early depending on the number of applicants. If you have started an application on our recruitment platform, Applied, you will be notified of a revised closing date and given 3 days to complete your application.
The Behavioural Insights Team is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Some of the personal data you provide to Applied when you apply for a role with The Behavioural Insights Team will be passed on to The Behavioural Insights Team for the purposes of (a) reviewing your application; (b) inviting you for interview; and/or (c) offering you a job and getting you set up as an employee/contractor.
If your application is not successful, any personal data provided to us by Applied (including any personal data relating to equal opportunities monitoring as set out above) will be retained by The Behavioural Insights Team for no longer than 6 months after the application deadline has passed (other than in exceptional circumstances where we may need to retain your personal data for longer), at which point your personal data will be securely deleted. We only keep your information for that period in order to allow us to comply with relevant legal obligations.