The Behavioural Insights Team (BIT) is looking for an exceptional candidate to join us as a Level 1/2 IT Support Specialist. The team has grown significantly over the last four years and we are looking to appoint a support specialist to assist our IT function.
You will be ready to take a hands-on approach and develop your level 2 skills. You will work to minimise disruption and ensure the smooth running of the business, taking ownership of IT problems and issues as soon as they arise.
About the Behavioural Insights Team
The then Prime Minister created BIT in 2010 to apply behavioural science to public policy in the UK. In February 2014 we became a social purpose company, owned by the Cabinet Office, Nesta (an innovation charity) and our employees.
The Behavioural Insights Team works with governments around the world in almost every area of policy. Whilst the subject and output of our projects varies considerably, there are common threads: we try to understand the contexts in which their people make decisions; we notice small details; we find out what has and hasn’t worked before; and we measure everything we do as robustly as we can.
The company today spans four continents but has the same relaxed and non-hierarchical office culture as it did when it was a team of just eight employees. Though our origins are from within the UK government, staff at BIT today come from countries across the world. We regularly eat lunch together; play sport; and socialise outside of work time.
As well as displaying professional excellence, BIT selects staff according to our company values. All our staff believe passionately in always prioritising social impact; empiricism and humility; fresh thinking, collaboration; and public service.
Roles and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will need to be able to work with the IT Manager in supporting our global organisation. This is a wide-ranging role in which you will need to be able to support both projects and the business as it expands in the UK and overseas while dealing with day-to-day issues.
- Work with the IT Manager to support BIT’s IT strategy, and collaborate with colleagues in the Operations team;
- Provide advice and guidance on day to day IT issues to staff;
- Support on-going IT projects;
- Assist in maintaining our Cyber Essentials Plus and future certifications;
- Ensure effective asset management for IT hardware (audit and roll-out), software, and equipment;
- Manage user accounts and IT assets; and
- Troubleshoot IT issues.
- Oversee and support all shared drives, ensuring that security considerations are taken into account;
- Support the company-wide intranet;
- Develop technical and ‘How to’ documentation and guides;
- Provide on-boarding training to new employees;
- Maintain key databases (such as asset registers etc.), and;
- Think creatively to come up with new ways of working and IT solutions
Skills and experience
- Experience working in a similar environment;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – able to communicate appropriately to staff at all levels;
- Project management skills;
- Strong IT skills, including an understanding of business IT requirements;
- Proven experience working with Google Apps Suite, Microsoft Office 365, Dell laptops, Apple MacBook, and mobile devices;
- The ability to troubleshoot network fundamentals: TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, cabled network and Wi-Fi;
- Strong understanding in using firewall and networking equipment;
- The ability to explain complex systems in simple terms;
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and within constraints
- Experience using systems and security management software (preferably Kaseya VSA and Sophos Central), and;
- You must be aligned with BIT values: social impact; empiricism and humility; fresh thinking, collaboration; and public service.
- IT certifications (e.g. G Suite, Microsoft, Apple, networking);
- Apple services (iOS and Macs);
- Web hosting and DNS management;
- Mobile applications;
- Audio / visual technology, and;
- VoIP technology.
If you do not already hold the right to work in the UK and/or require sponsorship in order to continue working here, you should think carefully before applying. This is because we will be unable to sponsor you unless there is no other suitably qualified settled worker available to fill the role or your current immigration status means that the resident labour market test will not apply in your case.
The Behavioural Insights Team is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.