About the job
Passionate about behavioral science? Looking for a new opportunity at a successful organization dedicated to creating social impact? If so, we want to hear from you.
The Behavioral Insights Team (BIT) is a global leader in using behavioral science research to design services, policies, and interventions that improve people’s lives. Established by the UK Government in 2010, BIT is the original “Nudge Unit.” Today, we are a social purpose consulting firm with over 250 employees and offices around the world.
Our expert team partners with all levels of government, nonprofits, and the private sector to reach their goals across a wide range of areas—from health and education to sustainability. We design complex interventions, run mixed-methods evaluations, develop and inform policy, and help organizations build their capacity to use behavioral science and evidence.
What does a Research Analyst do?
Your daily tasks support a large portfolio of work and can include a combination of:
- Quantitative data analysis: data cleaning, performing descriptive and causal analyses in Stata or R.
- Qualitative data analysis: supporting interview or focus group facilitation, taking notes, conducting thematic or framework analyses.
- Data collection: supporting coding of survey instruments, monitoring data collection, updating dashboards.
- Desk research: reviewing the evidence base to identify relevant findings, evaluating the strength and quality of evidence, preparing summary notes.
- Organizational support: contributing to making BIT better by supporting various company initiatives and team needs, including organizing social events, helping with business development, or joining a team working group or committee.
- Travel: periodically and on an as-needed basis for each project, to conduct in-person client meetings, workshops, field research, or gather with colleagues for learning and development.
Note: Research Analysts receive close supervision and guidance on these tasks to start. As Research Analysts grow, they will be expected to take more ownership over their work. Technical skills training can be provided, but candidates should have an interest in data and research practices, as it is a large part of the role.
What makes a great Research Analyst?
We’re looking for curious and collaborative people who understand what we do and share our values. As a successful candidate, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a high attention to detail and analytical problem solving, being careful and logical in your approach.
- Be persistent and reliable, working to overcome obstacles and follow through on your tasks.
- Communicate clearly, verbally and in writing, in-person or remotely, to different audiences (e.g., partners across sectors, service users, etc.).
- Manage your time and tasks efficiently to produce high-quality work – whether traveling, working remotely, or working from one of our offices.
- Collaborate with coworkers and support their success and wellbeing.
- Seek out a diverse range of perspectives to understand problems and develop new solutions.
- Be humble and treat all partners as equals while building your knowledge on solid evidence.
- Show professional fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, or French (this would be a plus but is not required.)
Note: We provide support in some of these areas—you don’t need all of them to be hired.
What can we offer you?
Positive social impact is at the center of everything we do at BIT. It’s how we make strategic decisions and judge the quality of our projects. Here, you get to apply behavioral science to real world issues and see your work improve lives. We have helped Tuberculosis patients take their medicine, helped organizations narrow their gender pay gap, and more. Other perks we can offer you:
- Amazing colleagues who are kind, intelligent, and fun to be around.
- Trust and flexibility in how, when, and where you do your work.
- An IT set up that allows for easy remote working options.
- Supportive culture that values work/life balance.
- comprehensive health, dental, and vision coverage
- $104 cell phone stipend per month
- 15 vacation days with the option to purchase an additional 10 days at the beginning of each year
- office-wide holiday week off in December
- 7 sick days
- 9 public holidays per year
- 5% 401(k) match with no waiting period
- life insurance
- flexible work arrangements
- discretionary annual bonus (dependent on company performance)
- and 12 weeks paid parental leave
- We’re a social bunch and have a variety of interest groups.
How to apply
We use the Applied platform to reduce bias in our recruitment. Rather than us looking at your resume, you will answer a few questions that will be anonymously scored against a rubric.
Candidates with top scores will be invited to a structured interview. In addition to answering questions, candidates will be asked to complete a work-based task so that they can demonstrate their skills. It’s at this stage that we first see your resume. We always give applicants feedback, no matter what stage your application reaches.
To learn more about what it’s like working at BIT, check out this FAQ.
- Role closes: Sunday, November 26
The Behavioral Insights Team is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favorable treatment on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, or because an employee or applicant is a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, other protected veteran, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Some of the personal data you provide to Applied when you apply for a role with The Behavioral Insights Team will be passed on to The Behavioral Insights Team for the purposes of (a) reviewing your application; (b) inviting you for interview; and/or (c) offering you a job and getting you set up as an employee/contractor. For full details on how BIT collects and uses your personal data please visit our global recruitment privacy notice.